Architect Antonio Flórez Urdapilleta (1877-1941) began the construction of the Residencia in 1913. His project embodied ideas advocated by the Institución Libre de Enseñanza, with the Mudéjar style and functionality as guiding principles.
On March 28, 2001 the Residencia completed the architectural remodeling of its facilities, the Central and Twin pavilions, the furnishing and décor of all the buildings, and the landscaping of the Hills of the Poplars gardens (Estanislao Pérez Pita and Jerónimo Junquera, Architects).
The remodeling project has respected the original spirit of the buildings while updating the facilities to meet today’s needs. Modern conveniences such as the Internet, audiovisual equipment, air-conditioning and the like have been installed.
The Central and Twin pavilions have been remodeled, both the private guests rooms and the public areas, such as the historic auditorium. The Residencia has now 90 rooms open to scholars, artists, professionals of cultural fields, and a group of fellows.
The historic gardens, with the Oleander Grove planted by Juan Ramón Jiménez, the Paseo de las Acacias, and the Canalillo (creek) have also been restored, with newly planted poplars and other plants.